Milo

Milo

Friday, August 21, 2015

Camping in Grand Junction

Hillary and Jesse had this great idea to meet halfway and go camping in Grand Junction with them! We were so glad that it all worked out and that we could see one of our favorite families. My mom was able to join us as well, which made the trip extra awesome.

Ty, Milo, Nana, and I drove out on Friday afternoon to camp that night. The drive went smoothly and Milo did awesome in the car. When we arrived we stepped out of the car and I got about 3 bug bites just on my face! Milo was soon swarmed as well so we hurried and sprayed bug spray on us. I learned my lesson to keep bug spray on at all times pretty quickly!

We set up camp and Milo was loving being outside and exploring everything. But as soon as everything was set up, Milo was just about done and was saying, "Go buh bye!" Poor little guy didn't know that he had a couple more days to go in the wilderness :) Tyler set up his hammock outside and Nana and I got in the tent with Milo to help him go to sleep. We all ended up falling asleep together at about 9:00, which was a good thing because the night ahead was a rough one. Milo slept in my sleeping bag with me and kept shoving me out so I would switch to another sleeping bag. Then he would wake up and want to get in that sleeping bag with me and the process went on and on. It was lucky we made it through the night!

The next morning we woke up, made some yummy breakfast, and headed to Island Lake for Ty to do some fishing. Milo fell quickly asleep on the way there so I was able to do some water coloring as Ty fished. Unfortunately, Ty didn't catch any fish, but it's all about the experience, right?

We headed back to camp for some lunch and who should pull up but Hillary, Jesse, Owen, and Elle. Perfect timing! Then it started pouring down rain, perfect timing... :) We huddled under our neighbors canopy to their trailer (these people were so nice to us the entire time and loved talking to Milo and letting him play with their dog) until the rain stopped. It stopped long enough for us to go get some canoes and get out on the lake for a little bit.


Milo hung out with Nana while we were out on the lake. As you can see, he was super stoked to have Elle come join him :) The car was Milo's favorite place on the camping trip. He got to play with the wheel, push all the buttons and, most importantly, got to be inside and out of the rain. He also carried around our car charger for the iphone everywhere he went, calling it his "tool". Whatever works to keep that little boy happy!

After the lake, we headed back to make some dinner. It was cold and wet and we barely got our fire made to cook our dinners. At least we were in good company!



That night Tyler joined us in the tent since it was raining and being out in a hammock in the rain didn't sound too awesome. It worked out so much better to have him in there so that we could squish Milo in one spot and keep him warm all night. He had a much better sleep.

Since it was still raining the next morning we were quick to pack up and head out. We were so sad to say good bye to the Chrastils, but so grateful that we were able to see them for a short time. Milo misses having those kids around to play with!

As we started driving home we had no idea that the adventures were really about to begin... Have I mentioned that I am cursed when I go camping? I swear, every time I go, some not so awesome things happen. I think that's why I try to avoid it as much as possible :) Anyway, we were driving home and we noticed that one of our front tires was really flat. I'm also going to mention that I wanted to get that tire replaced before we left on the trip... but we won't talk about that part. So we had to drive all over Grand Junction to find a place that had the right size tire and could replace it for us that day. Oh, and it was a Sunday... No where in Grand Junction had what we were looking for so we had to cautiously drive for 2 hours to the next city that luckily did have the tire we needed. After waiting about 2 hours (they told us 40 minutes) our tire was finally replaced and we were back on the road! Yay!

We headed toward a canyon and saw a sign that said MAJOR traffic delays. What?! Well, apparently there had been a mudslide toward the bottom of the canyon. We were stuck in that canyon for the entire duration of Despicable Me 2, plus some. I have never in my life been stopped in traffic for so long and I hope that I never have to do that again. It was the worst! Our travel time that day took us almost 9 hours when it was only supposed to be 4. We were SO happy to be home that night.

Milo, the next day, was constantly saying thank you to me for anything and I like to joke that, after that camping experience, he is much more grateful for everything that he has ;) Tyler is using reverse psychology, saying that Milo loved the whole camping experience in hopes that he won't remember how much he was unhappy on this trip and will want to go again. I hope this happens too so that Milo can be Ty's forever camping partner and take my place :)

No comments:

Post a Comment